Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Outsmarting the Drought :: Dick Thompson

Dick Thompson is a man that I've never met, but he is one that I have often read about. Mr. Thompson was the founding force behind Practical Farmers of Iowa and still is deeply involved in the research and field studies down in the organization. In the article linked below he shares how he beats the drought through diversification instead of relying on crop insurance and other payments. I think this statement of his from the article sums it up best, but you should read the whole thing for yourself ...
"In 1988, our bean yields were 17 bushels over county average, our corn yields were 27 bushels over county average - so, I rest my case."
I think our farmers and the entire country would benefit from Mr. Thompson's approach, but those are just my thoughts ... let me know what you think!

Having a Profitable Farm Year, Rain or Shine

No comments:

Post a Comment